When to have a first aid kit
Build a first aid kit for your travel adventures.
We use this first aid kit in our day packs on short hikes and on longer overnight backpacking trips.
It’s also easy to toss in our suitcase – whether on a domestic road trip or traveling internationally.
Follow along to get an idea of what to put in your first aid kit.
I’ll share what we put in ours.
Then you will create one tailored to your own needs and the environment you will be in.
Also, if you would like a printable first aid checklist, join our Jaunty Library of Printables – it’s free and includes many helpful travel tools.
Items to include
- Ace Bandage with Crimps: ACE Elastic Bandage with Hook Closure, 3 Inches Width (Pack of 2)
- Waterproof medical tape: Johnson & Johnson First Aid Waterproof Tape (1-Inch x 10-Yards) (Pack of 2)
- Mini Hand Sanitize
- Small Cloth
- Scissors: Premium Life Medical Lister Scissor, Bandage, 4 1/2 Inch
- Gauze Bandages: Dukal Conforming Stretch Gauze 12-Rolls 4-Inchx4.1yds, 1-Bag
- Mirror: Perfectly Plain Collection Mirror Compact Favors, 1
- Pepto Bismol
- Neosporin (antibiotic ointment): Neosporin Antibiotic Original Ointment 0.50 oz
- Tweezers: Tweezers for Ingrown Hair, RUIMIO Precision Slant Tweezers and Pointed Eyebrows Tweezer Set Stainless Steel Eyebrow Plucking 2 Pieces
- Alcohol wipes
- Emergency Blanket: Emergency Mylar Blankets – 84″ X 52″(4 Pack)
- Needle and thread
- Baking soda or other insect sting relief treatment
- Adhesive bandages – Our favorite brand is Bandaid: Band-Aid Brand Adhesive Bandages Variety Pack, 120 Count
- Safety Pins
- Cotton pads / balls
- Blister pads: Band-Aid Brand Blister Protection, Adhesive Bandages, 6 Count
- Itch cream
- Hot Hands: HotHands Hand Warmers, 10 count (5 pack with 2 warmers per pack)
- Cotton Swabs
- Ziploc Bags
- Duct Tape
- Medical/surgical gloves
- Cough/throat drops
- Aloe Vera Gel (for sunburns)
Practical Survivor For desert environment trips – suggested first aid supplies pack.
For an ultra-light first aid kit visit Section Hiker
What other supplies do you have in your first aid kit?